Post subject: MinGW
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:03 am 
Has anyone had a successful build of Polycode for MinGW using cmake?

Post subject: Re: MinGW
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:48 am 
As of today I am successfully compiling Polycode and a Polycode app using a mingw crosscompiler hosted on my mac. It did require some changes to both the cmake scripts and the code.

I submitted the changes back to Polycode here: https://github.com/ivansafrin/Polycode/pull/84
The fork I'm working out of (with other patches) is here: https://bitbucket.org/runhello/polycode
The project I'm building against this is at https://bitbucket.org/runhello/nauts

Assuming you're on Windows, building this should look like:

hg clone https://bitbucket.org/runhello/nauts
cd nauts
./manage.py load -b -d --no-tools --bindings-only
cd package/win
make

If you're compiling from a mac, you'll need also to set up a toolchain file.

If you can run MSVC, running MSVC would be significantly simpler than trying to run my experimental code linked above. But, mingw is definitely an option.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:33 am 
Awesome, I'll have to try it out!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:53 pm 
Ciao.

This is my first post here.

I've been trying to build the latest version of Polycode under MinGW on Windows XP using cmake and I'm facing a lot of issues.

I've downloaded, built and installed the latest version of all Polycode's dependencies in, for instance, C:\MinGW\include and C:\MinGW\lib. This has been quite a taxing and exhausting experience but no problems at all.

Then, I unziped the polycode zip file and created 'Build' folder. Then, run the following command:

- cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=out -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ..

Here the problems start:

a) Dependencies are found and not found at the same time (it sounds bizarre but that's what cmake tells me). Anyway, I could overcome this hurdle.

b) Some compilations errors since some '#define' entries are missing or incorrect (e.g. _WINDOWS, _MINGW). In addition to that, issues with 'redefined' variables (e.g. NULL), OpenGL/GLUT headers and definitions

c) Some linking errors (e.g. PolycodeViewer expects Linux constructor). I don't use SDL but there're references to that library in some files. Some missing libraries like gdi32 or winmm.
All examples seem to call/use SDLCore(....). What about Win32Core()?

d) Some other errors when trying to install it, which I can advise later on.

Having said all that, is there any link where I could download Polycode libraries compatible with MinGW (e.g, .a files)? Assuming I can install Polycode, how can i make sure the build/installation is correct? Are there any tests I could run?

Could somebody come back to me with some pointers/advice?

Thanks in advance.

Sergio.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:25 am 
> Oh, I just noticed you actually posted on the Polycode forum. (I am "mcc" there.) So you did get the MinGW build working eventually?

Ciao Andi.

Just finished updating all files under 'Examples' folder and they compile and link successfully, except for two: PlayingSounds & 2DShapes. You may want to have a look at them.
Now all the examples can be built under Mac, Linux and Windows (no Visual Studio required) using only one command: make examples.

But now I'm struggling with the 'Player', if I enable this option: POLYCODE_BUILD_PLAYER=ON, I get an undefined reference: main.cpp : Undefined reference to 'PolycodeLinuxPlayer::PolycodeLinuxPlayer(.......)'
I need you help here!

Another question I want to ask you is related to this app installation. Let's say I want to install it in my MinGW application or folder. Is Polycode folder structure when you do 'make install' compatible with MinGW and VS folder structure?

Thanks in advance.

Sergio.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:11 am 
I'm finishing the Polycode installer at the moment, but I need your input. When can you make yourself available? Regards.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:14 am 
Reading this thread makes me not want to try to build this with MinGW. :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:02 pm 
Perhaps you could be helpful and proactive and help people out. I hope the so so so late new version had taken into account all my feedback!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:56 pm 
Site Admin
I just merged in changes from mcc's branch, which should make Polycode work on MingW out of the box.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:58 pm 
"Out of the box" or "with many extra steps"? Gonna make a clean checkout and see.